Tuesday 7 February 2012

Workwear Design

This design from a project to designing a graphic to be printed on t-shirts, aprons etc to be sold in-store by Ikea. I wanted to come from an abstract angle and move away from the norm in this area. I looked at the De Stijl movement and this influenced my design, using definite directions and placement. The concept revolved around painting and I used the face of Pablo Picasso, along with a quote from him, as I liked the contrast of having an 'artistic' painter promoting domestic interior decoration. I combined hand-rendered work - a paintbrush made from screen printing and rubbing - with the computer, to make a mixed media piece.

This page is from my sketchbook, showing the process of taking rubbings of the metal faces of different paintbrushes. This was to determine which brush to use for the screen printing and later design work. After selecting the brush, the rubbing was photocopied onto acetate to be exposed for screen printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment